Friday, August 23, 2013

Welcome Party

The people of Japan are so wonderful. I am having a fantastic experience and it would be absolutely nothing without my host family and all of the Rotarians that are helping me get acquainted with Japan. Yesterday was a big day. I went to my first Rotary meeting. The Rotary club of Kawachinagano is very small in comparison to Northfield’s. It has 30 members whereas Northfield’s has at least 100. The meeting wasn’t an ordinary one, though. It was the first time that the club was meeting me, but that wasn’t the most important part. The Rotary International governor from this past year, Yasuharu Nakamura, happened to be visiting from Tokyo. It was a great honor to meet him and I think it pleased him to meet an exchange student. As the governor for all of Rotary International, Yasuharu Nakamura had to host the international meeting. It is usually hosted in the country of the current governor’s origin. Instead of having it in Japan, Yasuharu Yakamura decided to have it in Portugal to celebrate 300 years of peace between Japan and Portugal. My counselor here in Japan was actually the Kawachinagano Rotary Club representative at the meeting.

Anyway, enough history. I was scheduled to speak at the meeting so I brought along a speech that my counselor in the US had written for all Japan Outbounds. My speech went great! So great, however, that the entire club thought I was fluent in Japanese. Apparently I even used a Japanese accent. Oops! After my speech I exchanged Rotary club banners with the president of the club. Then Nakamura-san gave a speech. I wish I could have understood it better. What I inferred was he was restating the mission of Rotary International and was saying that Rotary needs to get the younger generation working through Rotary so it may continue in the future.

When the meeting ended, there were many people that came and talked to me. One man had heard that I play tuba and he told me I should get involved with the brass band at my school, Nagano High School.

It was so overwhelming and nerve racking. I think I may have even been shaking before I went up for my speech. I truly hope I made a good impression on the club and that they will be interested in spending  more time with me. I will have another chance to tell the entire club about myself in about a month when I give a speech about myself and home. Yikes!

That night, Gigi and Baba took me to a tea shop in downtown Kawachinagano that is run by Morishita Hiroko, the exchange student coordinator in Kawachinagano (for those in Northfield, she’s a Vicki Dilley equivalent). She was hosting a welcome party for me and had closed down her shop for the party. It was an incredible gesture of kindness. There were 13 members of the Rotary club there including Baba, Gigi, Michimoto-san, Hiroko-san, and Okita-san. One of my host mothers whom I hadn’t met in person before, Yukiko Yamasaki, was also there. Hiroko-san had prepared a lot of food for the occasion. There was sushi, noodles, takoyaki, vegetables, and pasta. It was all very delicious. The son of Hiroko-san taught me to make takoyaki. That was super fun and cool! It was also very hard to make perfect round balls. Hiroko-san’s son, it turned out, went to a college for two years in New York and spoke very good English.

I feel so welcomed by the club, although I can’t help but wonder if I will mostly do things with adults or if I will make friends my age as well. From what I’ve heard high school students start running out of time to make friends with exchange students in their junior and sophomore years.

Speaking of school, I start on Monday. Originally I thought I would start on Tuesday, but there is orientation for 2 hours on Monday. I will receive my uniform and sign up for various clubs. Scary!

Last night it rained. I’ve never seen such rain before! It poured and poured and poured! There was also thunder and lightning. The thunder made the night feel like there was a war going on because the cracks and bangs were so loud and close. When I woke up, the clouds were covering the tops of the hills around the house. What a sight it was!

It really doesn’t feel like it’s been a week already. I don’t know where the time went! I’m hoping that my jetlag has started to wear off and I will be able to focus on everything more. I had heard that being an exchange student is the most tiring thing you will ever experience. Now I would have to agree! You have to be alert every second you are awake and you can’t afford to tuck yourself away.

またね!


Wes

No comments:

Post a Comment