Thursday, August 29, 2013

ながのこうこう

It has been a little bit since I last wrote but not a lot has changed except for my attitude. My first week and a half was almost as if I was in a dream or just on vacation. I met a lot of people and saw a lot of places, but never really felt like I was settling down. Now, a few days into school, I feel like I am finally finding my place.

Two days ago I had an introduction to the school. That involved meeting with a small board of teachers to come to conclusions about certain things regarding my education and to go over the rules. I also received a tour of the school by three of my classmates.

My schooling here is a little awkward. Having graduated from high school, I am already on the edge for participating in Rotary International’s youth exchange. One the rules at my school (Nagano Prefectural (Public) High School) is that exchange students may not have classes with third years. This is because they are all studying and preparing for taking university entrance exams. Oh yeah, I suppose this would be a good time to mention that high schools in Japan only have three grades: 1st years (10th grade), 2nd years (11th grade), and 3rd years (12th grade). The school year also starts in April and ends in March. This means that because I am starting in the second trimester, the only way to prevent me having a 3rd year class is by enrolling me as a 1st year. I will then move up to be a 2nd year in the spring. Back to the awkward part. I didn’t realize this when I was chosen to go to Japan (not that it would have changed my mind), but I am now working on retaking 10th grade. That means classes with 10th graders (ages 15 and 16). Please take this moment to reminisce on your 10th grade and realize just how chaotic and crazy it probably was.

It’s not a big deal that everyone is younger than I am. It does help, though, because it means that they actually have time to talk with me and not study all the time.

In the words of fellow RYE student Logan Regnier, it was my second last first day of high school.

That first day was quite an experience. Luckily, I spent quite a bit of time in the CALL (Communication and Language Learning) office which is where the English teachers have their offices. There are two native English speakers. One is from the US (Upstate New York) and the other is from Australia. There are also 3 or 4 English teachers that are Japanese but whose English is absolutely incredible. They have helped me figure a ton out that I otherwise would have been completely stuck on.

That first day there was an assembly for the whole school in the gymnasium. There were awards presented to various club leaders and the school counselor said a few words. Then I had the absolutely wonderful opportunity to speak in front of all 1,000 students. It should be noted that the last line should be read in the most sarcastic voice your brain can produce.

Having already experienced being the new kid in school when I moved to Northfield, MN, from Poynette, WI, I figured this wouldn’t be that much different. That said, it would have been 10X easier had I been able to understand a single bit of the lesson. Japanese history is complex and complicated, but it’s even more-so when it’s in a language you don’t understand. Thankfully my classmates all agreed that it’s not a fun subject. After school I had decided that I would look into joining a club. A couple of my classmates are in Kendo (blunt sword fighting) and it sounded interesting to me. I talked to them and one, Ron, turned out to have been born in Japan, raised in Australia, and then moved back to Japan for high school.

That first two weeks of school are only half days because the weather is so awfully hot. This means that club activity schedules are all screwed up and they all start at different times after school. As I waited, several of my classmates sat around and talked to me. They were very anxious to see a picture of Annika (my girlfriend) and, upon seeing the picture I produced from my wallet, all the girls screamed かわい (cute!). I’m sure they are very jealous of her red hair and blue eyes, as many of them would love to dye their hair a lighter shade and several wear colored contacts.

Watching Kendo was a very interesting experience. The uniforms are modeled after those of the samurai, with very wide pants and half-length sleeves. The premise behind Kendo is that you bludgeon your opponent with a dull sword. The armor that the participants wear is very hard and solid. It would take a lot of force to hurt someone through it. The face-mask is metal bars that are each about a centimeter apart. Combat involves whacking the opponent as hard as one can on their head or on their oblique muscles and stabbing under their chin. It is incredibly scary to watch and I imagine to participate in. The sound that is produced from sparring is incredible because both opponents are screaming and there is the thwacking of the bamboo swords on armor.

When I returned to the Tani family store after school, I found out I would be going to Aikidou with Mama Akane, Mitsuki, and Nanako. It was fun and I learned some defense. It also turned out that it was the same Dojyou that Kiana Asada (RYE 2012-2013 from Northfield, MN, to Kawachinagano) attended during her exchange. It was fun to meet her senseis and they invited me to join. I will be attending classes with a group of adults that are all the highest level in Aikidou, so I should be well taught.

Japan is incredible. I reached a new happiness today and I feel very welcomed by the student population of Nagano High School. When I walk past anyone student they say “Hi” in English. They are very accommodating to my limited Japanese and are patient with me as I figure out what to say. I have already met quite a few people that I feel I will make strong relationships with.

The weather has been cooler these last couple days (25 degrees celcius) and the Tani family all say that fall is on it’s way. I am excited to see the colors of the trees!

Here are some pics from school.

Pictures made from tons of toothpicks stabbed into styrofoam.



The girls take pictures all day on their phones and every single one looks like this.


The guys. I think I've found the right crowd.


またね


Wes

No comments:

Post a Comment