Saturday, August 31, 2013

I may finally agree that school rocks.

School is probably the greatest thing that has happened so far. I know that a year ago I definitely would not have said that, as I would be gearing up for my senior year at Northfield High School. However, now that my grades do not matter and I can learn at my leisure (or as I understand), I am thoroughly enjoying school. Yes, it does get boring sitting in a classroom for a couple hours without doing anything besides studying Japanese by listening, but the end of school makes it worth it. Since we have shorter days due to the hot summers, school finishes at 12:45 PM. Most of my class eats lunch in the classroom and then goes to their various club activities if they do any. This has provided me with the chance to get to know them. The last few days I have walked down to the 7-11 convenience store that is adjacent to school and bought some items for lunch. I then return to eat with my class.

Walking anywhere is strange because everyone stares at you. As a white male that grew up in Minnesota, I’ve never experienced being a minority. Now I can say I have. Walking down the street, I never see anyone that is not of Asian ethnicity. The only place I see outsiders is at school or the surrounding streets. Even then, there are only five of us. There are so few you can count us! It’s quite an experience. Fortunately, I have not had any negative experiences because of this. One thing I have noticed, though, is that everyone from Nagano High School recognizes me and says “hello” in English. It’s very cool! I feel so welcomed to the school.

I feel like I am being well taken care of. The students keep on eye on me in the case that I make a mistake or don’t know where to go. They are all willing to help. My first full day some of my classmates walked me to the room I was supposed to be in. Many times my homeroom teacher has checked on me just to make sure I am doing well. She has also helped me find the correct people to talk to about joining clubs.

On Thursday, I went to soft tennis club. I think that it is only a Japanese sport because I’ve seen any mention of it before anywhere else. It is exactly like normal tennis except the ball is very rubbery. It is the same size as a ball used for racket-ball, but it is the consistency of a stress-ball. I followed a student from my class named Kei and he helped me out with it. I also met a third-year named Maho. She was actually the one that invited me to come the day before. She is apparently interested in teaching Japanese in foreign countries. Soft Tennis was fun and I think I will go to it on some days after school.

On Friday, I went to the Nagano Wind Orchestra’s rehearsal. It was incredible! The group is made up of about 30-40 students and is conducted by a third-year. As far as I can tell, the only direction is given by a Nagano High School alum that hung around this year to help out with music. For rehearsal, they leant me tuba and I got to play with the two other tuba players for an hour. Then, I was given a trombone and I practiced with the trombones and euphonium player. They are very, very, very, very good. At the end of the rehearsal, I was given a private concert of their main piece, a jazz medley that included “Sing, Sing, Sing”. Ever note was precisely where it should be and (for a group this size this was very impressive) completely balanced with one another. When they were finished, they had me critique them. That was very difficult to do in both English and Japanese! I gave up on my Japanese and gave them my praise in English.

I suppose it would interesting for people to know that there are very few boys in some club activities. For example, both soft tennis and the orchestra have only one boy in them (well, now two). Both are very good at what they do and have no problem with being the only male in their clubs.

I went to aikidou last night with Nanako and Mitsuki. It was a lot of fun! It's really hard work, though.



The Kawachinagano Rotary Club puts out a newsletter every week. I was in it along with the speech I gave and a biography of Northfield.







So I guess that when I said fall was on it’s way, I might have been a little early. These last couple days have had more wind and clouds than usual. This is because of a typhoon (hurricane) that has been working it’s way up the coast of east Asia. We may not have school next week! Yay! While it is a hurricane (yes, that IS rather scary), there should be no issue and it should blow itself out before reaching Osaka, therefore there should be no hastily written emails or worrying. I do hope that Zoe Webb in Taiwan, Logan Regnier in South Japan, and Wren Kruse in Hiroshima are not too affected by it.



じゃない!


Wes

No comments:

Post a Comment